Subpart 5.3 Synopses of Contract Awards
(a) Except for contract actions described in paragraph (b) of this section and as provided in 5.003, contracting officers must synopsize through the GPE the following:
(1) Contract awards exceeding $25,000 that are
(i) Covered by the World Trade Organization Government Procurement Agreement or a Free Trade Agreement (see subpart 25.4); or
(ii) Likely to result in the award of any subcontracts. However, the dollar threshold is not a prohibition against publicizing an award of a smaller amount when publicizing would be advantageous to industry or to the Government.
(2) Certain contract actions greater than the simplified acquisition threshold as follows
(i) Federal Supply Schedule (FSS) orders or Blanket Purchase Agreements supported by a limited-source justification (excluding brand name) in accordance with 8.405-6; or
(ii) Task or delivery orders awarded without providing fair opportunity in accordance with 16.505(b)(2).
(3) A notice is not required under this section if the notice would disclose the executive agency’s needs and the disclosure of such needs would compromise the national security.
(b) A notice is not required under paragraph (a)(1) of this section if
(1) The award results from acceptance of an unsolicited research proposal that demonstrates a unique and innovative research concept and publication of any notice would disclose the originality of thought or innovativeness of the proposed research or would disclose proprietary information associated with the proposal;
(2) The award results from a proposal submitted under the Small Business Innovation Development Act of 1982 (Pub. L. 97-219);
(4) The award is made for perishable subsistence supplies;
(5) The award is for utility services, other than telecommunications services, and only one source is available;
(6) The contract action
(i) Is for an amount not greater than the simplified acquisition threshold;
(ii) Was made through a means where access to the notice of proposed contract action was provided through the GPE; and
(iii) Permitted the public to respond to the solicitation electronically; or
(7) The award is for the services of an expert to support the Federal Government in any current or anticipated litigation or dispute pursuant to the exception to full and open competition authorized at 6.302-3.
(c) With respect to acquisitions covered by the World Trade Organization Government Procurement Agreement or a Free Trade Agreement, contracting officers must submit synopses in sufficient time to permit their publication in the GPE not later than 60 days after award.
(d) Posting is required of the justifications for
(1) Contracts awarded using other than full and open competition in accordance with 6.305;
(2) FSS orders or Blanket Purchase Agreements with an estimated value greater than the simplified acquisition threshold and supported by a limited-sources justification (see 8.405-6(a)); or
(3) Task or delivery orders greater than the simplified acquisition threshold and awarded without providing for fair opportunity in accordance with 16.505(b)(2)(ii)(B) and (D).
5.302 Preparation and transmittal of synopses of awards.
Contracting officers shall transmit synopses of contract awards in the same manner as prescribed in 5.207.
5.303 Announcement of contract awards.
(a) Public announcement. Contracting officers shall make information available on awards over $4 million (unless another dollar amount is specified in agency acquisition regulations) in sufficient time for the agency concerned to announce it by 5 p.m. Washington, DC, time on the day of award. Agencies shall not release information on awards before the public release time of 5 p.m. Washington, DC time. Contracts excluded from this reporting requirement include
(1) Those placed with the Small Business Administration under Section 8(a) of the Small Business Act;
(2) Those placed with foreign firms when the place of delivery or performance is outside the United States and its outlying areas; and
(3) Those for which synopsis was exempted under 5.202(a)(1).
(b) Local announcement. Agencies may also release information on contract awards to the local press or other media. When local announcements are made for contract awards in excess of the simplified acquisition threshold, they shall include
(1) For awards after sealed bidding, a statement that the contract was awarded after competition by sealed bidding, the number of offers solicited and received, and the basis for selection (e.g., the lowest responsible bidder); or
(2) For awards after negotiation, the information prescribed by 15.503(b), and after competitive negotiation (either price or design competition), a statement to this effect, and in general terms the basis for selection.